Food and beverage

When selecting a caterer for an on-campus event, make sure you follow the new food and safety measures at ASU.  Always make sure you verify that the caterer you are utilizing has permit and has no priority violations at their last health inspection.  Link to verify this information. Take a screen shot to keep track that you did your due diligence before you ordered the food and include that screenshot with the payment paperwork.  Click here for more information on verifying current permits and recent food safety protocol.

Do not forget to fill out the Food Exception Request for Ready to Eat food for venues on campus that already have exclusive contracts when you are NOT using the contracted vendor.

Temporary Food Establishment Permit needs to be filled out for food that is prepared onside, detailed description though this link here.

Keep in mind if the cost of food for your function exceeds $40/person, including tax and gratuity, you need to get Dean’s approval.

Check with your caterer on the setup equipment they will provide (e.g., banquet tables for the food, linen for the tables, décor for the banquet table, plates (what kind), glasses (what kind), napkins (paper or linen), plastic utensils or silverware. It is also important to know how the food will be served.

A caterer can often provide you with upgraded linen, plates, glassware and other items needed for your event. This can be very helpful and makes one less thing you have to worry about. Make sure you are getting a fair price or you can get the same items from a rental company, see list of rental companies under tent and event rental companies on Sunmart.

Make sure you use a caterer that can be accommodating to dietary needs. The day of the event make sure you know the name of the persons with dietary needs and inform the serving staff of the need where the person is seated and how they can identify him/her.

When using a new caterer or planning a high profile event, ask for a tasting of possible menu options. You might prefer the chicken on one dish but the vegetables on another. This allows you to select the best menu and presentation possible.

Business Meals Form
You need to submit a Business Meals Form to your accounts payable person (Office Specialist, Senior Accountant or Accountant Associate) with any food or beverage request for payment, include separate list of attendees if you have more guests than can be listed on the form.

Read your contract to see when your guarantee deadlines are for the final number. This is the number you will be billed for regardless of if only half the people show up. Sometimes this is one week out, other times it might be 72 hours before the event date. Make sure your RSVP date is at least two days prior to the earliest guarantee date. Check with the caterers on how much they “over seat.” This means how much extra food or seats they provide. The norm is between three to five percent. Don’t forget to account for those that don’t RSVP and subtract potential no shows. When making changes to your estimated number, remember to change your linen, centerpieces, tables and chairs accordingly.

Approval Signature for Food and Beverage
Any banquet ticket or conference authorization must be signed by an ASU employee if paid from an ASU account, even if the responsibility of the conference arrangements is shared by non-ASU individuals or entity.

Alcoholic Beverages

If you have special events at which the primary attendances are donors/benefactors to the university and if the event does not have student attendance, you may be able to serve alcoholic beverages. You need to apply for and be approved for ASU Alcoholic Permit Request before any purchase of alcohol can take place. Read the following Insurance requirements to be familiar with your liability.

Before beginning this request you must have:

  1. Special Event Liquor License (if required).
  2. Certificate of Insurance for the vendor serving alcohol.
  3. The name and email address for the ASU dean, director, or designee who has authority to sign off on this event.
  4. Please contact [email protected] with any questions.

You have to apply for the permit at least 15 days before the event and it requires the signature of Lynn Carpenter, make sure to add her email in the section that reads “Please provide the email for the delegate who approves this event“.

In order to serve alcohol, you must also employ a bartender from a company that has a certificate of insurance, see above information.

Some bartending services can provide and purchase the alcohol for you or you can purchase the alcohol from a store either for reimbursement or with approved purchasing card that is linked to a Foundation Account.

You can never purchase alcohol, a bartending service or rent bar-ware or equipment with ASU funds (i.e. on a state or local accounts).

Food and non-alcoholic beverages such as water and coffee must always be served at an event with alcohol.

Additional Liquor License Needed

If the alcohol at your event is donated or if you are charging fee for it (by having a cash bar or charging admission), or your event is outside, you need additional specialized permits from City and State. This is very time consuming and cannot be done last minute. If you are not sure if your event requires additional permits contact Police Department 480-965-6589.

You always need to have security on the premises and fenced off area where the alcohol is served and consumed on campus.

The following locations on campus already have a liquor license and do not require you to fill out the request:

ASU Gammage Auditorium – 1200 S. Forest Dr. Tempe
ASU Kerr Cultural Center – 6110 N. Scottsdale Rd. Scottsdale
ASU Multipurpose Arena/Mullet Arena – 411 S. Packard Dr. Tempe
Beus Center for Law and Society – 111 Taylor St. Phoenix
College Avenue Commons – 660 S. College Av. Tempe
Desert Financial Arena – 600 E. Veterans Way
Mountain America Stadium – 425 E. University Dr. Tempe
Oasis – 4th Floor, W.P. Carey, 450 E. Lemon St. Tempe
Old Main – 400 E. Tyler Mall, Tempe
Papago Golf Club – 5595 E. Moreland St., Phoenix
Phoenix Municipal Stadium – 5999 E. Van Buren St., Phoenix
Thunderbird School of Global Management – 401 N. 1st St, Phoenix
University Club of ASU – 425 E. University Dr, Tempe
Verde Dickey East Athletic Village – 511 S. Rural Rd. Tempe

Borrow your event décor!

The Fulton Engineering Dean’s office events team has linens and décor items available for loan to others in Engineering.

Engineering Events Inventory